Service version: 4
Last edit: 2019.05.16
On this page
What is the Traffic API?
The Traffic API is a suite of web services designed for developers to create web and mobile applications around real-time traffic. These web services can be used via RESTful APIs.
The offering is split into:
- Traffic Incidents: This provides an accurate view about traffic jams and incidents around a road network.
- Traffic Flow: This provides real time observed speeds and travel times for all key roads in a network.
The Traffic API web services are based on the real-time traffic data TomTom Traffic™.
Common use cases you can implement
- Real-time traffic incident data on a map, or display real-time traffic segment speed data on a map.
- Traffic delay data with delay details like location, length, and delay.
- Segment details like free-flow speed, current speed, and confidence values.
- Obtain current traffic speed information with information about the real-time speed per road segment and display them on a TomTom map.
- The severity of the current traffic condition with colored tubes indicating the delay severity.
- The accurate location of slowdowns with colored tubes indicating the delay severity.
- The Traffic Flow Speed information with other real-time traffic information for a Traffic Management Monitoring application.
Harness the power of TomTom Traffic™ for your application!
In both the Traffic Flow and Traffic Incident RESTful APIs, different road categories are displayed depending on the zoom level.
TomTom's Traffic Incident RESTful API
- Is updated every minute with the very latest traffic incident and delay information.
- Returns detailed information about traffic jams and traffic related incidents. Details include: start-location, end-location, road-name, type of delay, length (in time) of the delay, significance, and distance.
- The Raster and Vector Incident Tile APIs provide traffic incident and delay information for display on your map view.
TomTom's Traffic Flow RESTful API
- Is updated every minute with very latest traffic speed information.
- Returns detailed information about traffic speed. Details include: current speed, freeflow speed, and quality indicator.
- The Raster and Vector Flow Tile APIs provide traffic speed information for display on your map view. An option is provided to use the absolute or relative speed information.