Service version: 1.0
Last edit: 2019.02.04
On this page
What is Routing?
Routing is a suite of web services designed for developers to use our latest scalable online Routing engine. Independent tests have established that the TomTom Routing engine is the best in the industry. Our Routing engine uses IQ Routes™ and TomTom Traffic™.
Routing consists of the following RESTful APIs:
This calculates a route between an origin and a destination, passing through waypoints (if specified). Additional routing parameters like traffic, avoidance conditions, departure/arrival time etc., can be taken into account.
Calculate Reachable Range
This calculates a set of locations that can be reached from the origin point, subject to the available fuel or energy budget that is specified in the request.
For detailed geographic coverage information, please see our Routing API Market Coverage page.
Perform the following steps to get started.
- Register/Sign in to the TomTom Developer Portal.
- Request an evaluation API Key to access the Routing service.
- Read the API documentation and start coding.
- Consider using the TomTom Maps SDK for Web, for iOS, and for Android.
Common use cases you can implement
- Calculate departure times by planning routes using desired arrival times.
- Calculate the travel time of pre-existing routes (like routes created using GPS trace data or routes planned with other routing engines).
- Calculate a batch of up to 700 routing requests in parallel and retrieve the results as a single file.
- While having a matrix of origins and destinations, calculate routing costs for each origin-to-destination combination and retrieve it in a single file.
Evaluating and plotting
- Evaluate the amount of fuel/energy needed for any route.
- Plot the route geometry on map tiles from TomTom (or other map suppliers).
- Draw a polygon of the reachable range with the current fuel/energy budget.
- Plan the fastest, shortest or eco route from A to B taking in consideration the real-time traffic and the historical traffic.
- Plan multiple alternative routes through one single API call.
- Plan a route through up to 50 intermediate waypoints.
- Plan the optimized route through up to 20 intermediate waypoints (traveling salesman).
- Plan a round trip through at least one intermediate point.
- Plan a route which avoids toll roads, ferries, or other types of roads.
- Plan a route for vehicles or pedestrians.
- Plan a route using our elaborated consumption models for both electric and combustion engines.
- Draggable routes: replan the same route with additional intermediate points.
Our Routing engine uses IQ Routes™ and TomTom Traffic™. As such, the Routing API enables you to:
- Plan routes for immediate departure and TomTom's industry-leading traffic data will be used to optimize journey times, minimize traffic delays and get to your destination faster.
- Plan routes in the future to take advantage of TomTom's extensive historic traffic database. Using past traffic patterns, the routing engine can predict journey times and calculate fastest routes for any day and time.
There are many ways to get from point A to B. Sometimes your users want to know about them.
- You can reuse the same waypoints in calls with different routing parameters (like fastest, shortest, and eco).
- You can request more than one route matching your input parameters within the same call.
In addition to the start and end of the route, you can specify intermediate waypoints that the planned route must go through.
- Use additional waypoints to create draggable routes, where the user can replan a displayed route to go via a desired location.
- Use our Optimized Routing algorithm to obtain the best order in which to visit your chosen waypoints.