What is QPS management?
QPS management is a feature that enables customers to request a change of their queries per second (QPS) limit through the API key page on the TomTom developer dashboard. The QPS limit specifies the maximum number of queries that can be processed by an API in one second.
Why is QPS management important?
The goal of the QPS management feature is to provide customers with a self-service option to change their QPS limit.
QPS management allows customers to optimize their API usage by increasing or decreasing their QPS limit based on their current usage. If the QPS limit is too low, it can lead to blocked calls and impact customer experience.
How does QPS limit impact your business? If your limit is too low your calls will be blocked, and your customers will be impacted. It's possible to both increase and decrease your QPS limits.
- QPS: QPS stands for queries per second. It is a measure of the number of queries that can be processed by an API in one second.
- QPS limits: The QPS limit refers to the maximum number of queries per second that can be made. This can be changed on the API key page.
- QPS breaches: QPS breaches occur when the number of queries per second exceeds the limit set for an API key and the products (APIs) it is using. QPS limits can be changed.
Determine if your QPS is optimal for your current usage
To determine if your QPS is optimal for your current usage, you can monitor the number of QPS limit breaches on the Analytics Dashboard on the Developer Portal. Follow these steps.
- A simple example for one key:
- Set filter > Date: last month > Zoom level > Key: First key > Product: Map Display API > Split products on > QPS breaches tab.
- Visit the usage dashboard documentation for more information. See the Dashboard Analytics page.
Check your current QPS limits for a key
To view your QPS limit assigned to the key, go to the Key view on the Developer Portal and click the "Review/Adjust QPS" button. The first screen that you will see will be the list of the QPS limits assigned to the key.
Figure 1: This page displays all of the QPS limits assigned to the API key; this is the first step in the request process.
Request a change for the QPS limit for a key
To request a change in the QPS limit for a key, follow these steps:
- Go to the Key view on the Developer Portal -> "Review/Adjust QPS" button.
- There can be only one active request for a QPS change for the key-product pair.
- This is a manual process, so delays should be expected. You can monitor the status of your request on the CHANGE REQUESTS page.
- You will also receive email notifications about the status changes of your request.
To cancel a request, follow these steps:
- Go to CHANGE REQUESTS -> Delete the request.
- You can only cancel requests in the Submitted status (requests that have been submitted but not yet picked up by TomTom).
- Once a request has been picked up, you cannot cancel or change it through the interface. If you need to edit or cancel a request that is already in progress, contact your account manager.
Note that changes to the QPS limit will take some time to go through the approval process and execute the change. We will notify you once the request is finalized and the QPS limit has been changed.
Figure 3: This page displays all of the QPS limits assigned to the API key. To increase or decrease the QPS limit, use the plus (+) or minus (-) buttons next to each product; this is the first step in the request process.
Monitor your request
To monitor the status and history of your QPS change requests, navigate to the "CHANGE REQUESTS" page on the Developer Portal.
Note: There may be additional costs associated with the change. Although this is not always the case, it is a possibility.