18 of the Best Mapping Tips & Tutorials in May 2021
We had a marvelous May here at TomTom Developers, and another month filled with tutorials and resources on all things mapping. From using merged styles, mapping Star Wars filming locations, or meeting another one of our mapmakers, we hope there’s something for everyone. In light of mental health awareness month, we also enjoyed finding and sharing some additional resources on topics from motivation to burnout to diversity in tech.
Check out our content from May and catch up on anything you may have missed!
TomTom Developer Blogs
We started off the month finding a way to make a fun mapping project about Star Wars, in honor of May the 4th (be with you). We used the TomTom Map Styler along with fuzzy search, tilt and rotation, and popups to map Star Wars filming locations. Check it out here.
Learn five easy and fun ways to customize your map, from styles and colors to POIs and map markers.
With the release of TomTom Maps SDK for Web v6, you can now edit base map styles and traffic layer styles. In this tutorial, learn how to create a map with multiple layers and customize the look for each layer.
For the fourth installment of our Mapmakers series, we spoke with eclectic software developer turned developer advocate (and our resident YouTuber) Jose Jose Rojas. Learn about his travels, career journey, advice to devs, and thoughts on the future of mapping.
TomTom Developers YouTube Tutorials
Jose walks us through getting your own free API key on our Developer Portal with step-by-step instructions. Start building your own maps applications today!
In this demo, Olivia gets driving data from a taxi driver and recalculates the routes using our Maps APIs to check for deviations on the taken routes. Check it out here!
On May 13, Chiara Angiolini spoke at ESRI Italia on speed profiles and the power of TomTom predictive live speeds. You can learn more about the event here.
On May 19, Product Marketing Manager Anna Borbotko spoke at Autonomy Digital 2.0 on on-demand mobility and building a reliable and transparent experience. You can read more about the event here.
Our Developer Forum is a great place to get support when you’re stuck on a project or get inspiration for a new one. Here are some of our most popular questions and answers from the forum this month.
- Tracking a vehicle with HTML, AJAX and the Location History API
- Check if the position is inside the Geofences
- Getting multiple or all addresses in a postal code, or between two geo points
- Dynamic routing and the Map Driving Extension
Even More Resources
Here are a few more resources we stumbled across, loved, and shared this month:
- Self-Motivation Tips For Web Developers – Tips on how to maintain or re-motivate yourself as a software developer.
- Folks Who Code / Awesome Diversity via GitHub – A curated list of articles, websites, and resources about diversity in technology.
- You're on FIRE... in the WRONG way: A Story About Burnout – An in-depth, personal story about the stages of burnout and the road to recovery.
- Background Music for Coding for Every Taste – A music playlist compilation spanning genres – feel free to add your own tunes of choice in the comments.
Do you have a blog or project you’d like to share with the TomTom Developers community to be featured in an upcoming monthly roundup? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know!
We hope there’s something in here to get you inspired for your next project! Make sure to follow us on Twitter and YouTube to see what’s coming up in June.