20 Inspiring Mapping & Developer Resources from June 2021
June flew by! June was a month where we celebrated the stories of some amazing software developers, from Women in Engineering Day to Pride month. Take a look at some of our favorite resources from June and discover what our developer advocates and location experts were up to, to help you make the most of location tech in your apps and beyond.
TOMTOM DEVELOPER BLOGS
Learn how to use TomTom maps with Vue, Quasar, or a CMS like Wordpress, Drupal, and Joomla – or explore our on-demand tutorials, from taxi summoning to food delivery apps.
Adding TomTom Maps to a Vue + Quasar App
Summoning Taxis with TomTom Maps APIs
How to Use Isochrones for Food Delivery
Isochrones are the secret sauce to precise deliveries – they depict the location from which someone can travel to another location within a certain amount of time and with a certain cost. In this article, we explore isochrones and how to use them in food delivery apps.
How to Easily Add a Map to your Website for CMS Users
In this article, we’ll explore how easy it is to create a maps plugin that enables users to add maps to their website, with a custom administrative page where businesses can easily add store information.
How to Optimize your Routes for Distance with the TomTom Routing API
Did you know you can optimize routes and stop-overs for distance using the Routing API? If you need to save on fuel (or battery), this is a great option for delivery trucks and bikes. In this video, we will experiment with the "computeBestOrder" parameter which sorts the waypoints of your route by distance internally. Check out the tutorial here!
Build a Trip Planner for Trucks with the TomTom Routing APIs
Calculating where to rest on a long truck trip can be tedious, since there are restrictions to be followed, traffic to be avoided, and more. Here is where the TomTom Routing API can help. In this video, learn how to make a truck trip planner – not just creating the route among waypoints, but also selecting those stopovers based on how long you can drive between rests. Watch it now!
Our Developer Forum is a great place to get support when you’re stuck on a project or get inspiration for a new one. Here are some of our most popular questions and answers from the forum this month.
EVEN MORE RESOURCES
There were so many resources we loved in June. We found and shared so many that this month we’re organizing them by category. Here are some articles, videos, and resources we enjoyed and shared this month:
- Codecademy Mini-Course: LGBTQ & STEM Icons – This mini course by Codecademy explores the life and impact of both well-known and lesser-known queer innovators.
- Celebrating Pride: How to Write Gender-Neutral Coding Tutorials – Educative, an interactive learning platform for programmers, wrote this article on how you can make your educational content more inclusive.
- Inspirational Women in Software Development: History of Computing – In honor of International Women in Engineering Day, we loved this piece from Microverse on the history of women in software development.
- Don’t Develop Just for Yourself: A Developer's Checklist to Accessibility – This article has some great tips on how to make your site more accessible to all.
All Things Tech
- APIs@Scale – A report by PCG Platinion on the API ecosystem and how combing data across industries opens up more opportunities for technology to grow.
- 10 GitHub Repositories Every Developer Should Know – The best GitHub repositories for web and software developers alike.
- Build a Shortest Route App Like UberEats/Deliveroo in React! – Software developer and YouTuber Ania Kubow goes over how to optimize multiple deliveries by travel time using the TomTom Maps SDK for Web.
- Add a Free Map to your WordPress Website – Robert from TipsWithPunch featured our maps in one of his engaging YouTube tutorials.
Dose of Inspiration
- 10 Things I've Learned After 3 Months as a Software Engineer – Software engineer Alex Morton shares 10 tips to make developer life run more smoothly.
- Am I a Bad Developer? – A Question Developers Commonly Face – If you’ve ever asked yourself this question, here are 5 tips for getting back on track.
- Wildfire Refugee to Full-Stack Developer – Web developer Sam Sycamore reflects on the life-changing events that led to his career change.
Do you have a blog or project you’d like to share with the TomTom Developers community to be featured in an upcoming monthly roundup? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know!