"Software update" is an application that is part of the TomTom BRIDGE device. Its primary function is to update software and content on the device.
Below are some of the features offered by "Software update":
- Can be configured to use WiFi and/or internal microSD-Card/USB attached storage device.
- Can be configured to look for updates in specific places.
- Can be configured check and download updates over specific network types.
- Complete device configurations stored in package lists.
- Supports versioning of files so that old content is not re-downloaded and installed.
- Ensures that updated devices all have the same configuration; unspecified content/apks will be deleted.
- Possible to secure configuration files to avoid unauthorized tampering.
- Controlling the software updates.
How it works
When an update runs the software updater follows the following flow:
- Check for new configuration and bootstrap.
- Check for updated packages (locally or from web server). Note: you will need to host files/content on your own web server.
- Download packages (if Bridge configured to update from web server only and there is enough space on the device).
- Install packages. In some cases some packages will need to be downloaded during this phase.
How to keep your devices up-to-date
The "Software update" application is used to enforce a configuration on each device. The configuration is defined by you by listing packages that should be on the device after each update.
When you or the end-user updates the device, the defined configuration is compared to what is presently on the device. Any packages that are not defined in the configuration are removed, missing packages are installed and out-of-date packages are updated, thus ensuring that the device has the exact configuration that you defined; no more, no less.
The content of this configuration can come from internal storage, an inserted (FAT32) SD card, USB attached storage or a remote server. You can make certain content available only to certain types of devices, or even only a single device.
You can use an SD card or a USB attached storage device to install a configuration onto many devices, which will then have the exact same configuration after updating. This is called bootstrapping the device. To download the package please go to the Releases page.
Having a clear idea about your product's update strategy is important. Your update strategy should be well thought out and well tested and is not something that should be put together late in the release cycle. TomTom always recommends configuring devices to be updated over the internet instead of using an SD card for updates as it provides much more flexibility. If there is any doubt in your stratey please contact the Bridge team for help.